Google

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

USE OF MODALS

Notice the usage of modals in the following sentences:
I pay my taxes. General declaration of fact. Paying taxes is
something I normally do.
I can pay my taxes. Expresses ability. I have the means (funds) to
pay.
I might pay my taxes. Expresses possibility, but not certainty. Maybe
I will pay; maybe I won’t.
I will pay my taxes. Expresses future intent. I resolve to do it at
some later time.
I should pay my taxes. Expresses mild obligation. It is required, and I
expect to comply.
I could pay my taxes. Expresses possibility. If I have nothing else to
do with the money, I might pay taxes.
I would pay my taxes. (In this case), expresses reservation. If I had
the money (but I don’t).…
I must pay my taxes. Expresses strong obligation. I am required
and have to comply.

No comments: